Skimstone Arts create collaborative theatre, music and art with artists and researchers, and develop artistic practice with diverse individuals and communities, to reflect challenges in society.
• We create a voice for our artists and we promote inclusion, collaboration, ownership and respect for anyone who has a social and political right to make artworks but may face barriers to do so.
• We make accessible touring theatre and site specific performances, exhibitions and gigs that reflect current stories and themes relating to today’s cultural landscape, changes in heritage and identity, and we explore what we think about the world today.
• We are actively inclusive and open up opportunities for all less represented groups including LGBTQ, those from different cultures and people who face challenges such as mental health, poverty and illness.
• We are committed to sharing a clear, high quality arts practice in a well managed and welcoming studio with our Young Artist Collective and older people, alongside our own Ensemble of professional artists. We hold high expectations and aspirations for all of Skimstone’s artists.
• We engage those we work with as participating artists, promoting an ethos of equality. This enforces the need for the participators to be willing to share stories and ideas and to learn new skills and techniques and to listen, respond, challenge and co-create authentic, original and innovative artworks.
• We welcome staff and artists from a wide diversity of cultures and backgrounds.
• We offer opportunities to gain a national Arts Award and to be involved in company operations including business development, marketing of events and assisting with business meetings and funding applications.
• We respect that participants may be encountering difficulties related to individual conditions and provide short term sign-posting and pastoral care to support them in creating work and working with others.
• We continue to be inspired by participants’ aspirations beyond the Skimstone Arts studio and the impact these may have on their lives.
Why are we called Skimstone Arts? Because Skimstone Arts supports everyone we work with to be playful, take risks, to actively choose and pick up skills, ideas and concepts. We positively work with people to make something – a mark, a performance, an artwork, a song – and see its skims and steps of momentum. We don’t know how far the impact of the experience will travel, but the ripples continue and the stone remains unseen on the sea bed, like the change in confidence and public recognition and celebration of who we are.